Monday, August 4, 2014

Thou Shall Love Unconditionally

As we continue the series The 10 Commandments of Parenting I would like to thank all of you for your support and encouragement. It is the love of God and family that fuels my desire to see other's lives changed. It is at this time I would like to introduce to you Commandment #3 Thou Shall Love Unconditionally

How many of us can honestly say that we've experienced unconditional love? You know the genuine, heartfelt, no matter what you do or say, no matter what comes our way I am going to love you kind of love. One of my favorite songs when I was a teenager was "Can You Stand The Rain" by New Edition. It was a question that was unanswered all of my life until I built a relationship with Jesus. As a child I only felt loved by my father and step-mom when I was making good grades or not getting into trouble. It was not uncommon for my parents to hold a grudge against me for days or maybe even weeks at time for being disobedient. And people wondered why I was incapable of forming healthy relationships. Well there you go.

I will never forget the time my father found out I had become sexually active as a teenager. Not only did he ground me for a year. Yes people, a whole year! He wouldn't speak to me for weeks. Whenever he would see me he looked at me as if I was the dirt on the bottom of his shoes. As a result I made it my business to be in my room and out of his way whenever he was home. If I heard his car pull into the garage I would immediately stop what I was doing and go into my room. The fact that he hated the sight of me hurt worse than any year long punishment. My step-mom was of no support nor a place of refuge. It seemed as if she enjoyed when my father and I were at odds.

I can't even began to think of anything that Sienna has done or could do to make me withhold love from her. Even on her worst day when she is pushing me to my limit I am still able to punish her with love. She is my child who I birth from my body. To hurt her would hurt me. I don't hold things she has done over her head. I deal with the issue accordingly and we move forward. I can honestly say that she and I do not go to bed angry. Will it always be that way? I am not sure but I hope so.

There are so many things we need to give our children. Unconditional love is one of them. However, it is impossible to give what you have yet to experience for yourself. John 3:16 says "God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son so that we could have eternal life." If that isn't the biggest illustration of unconditional love then I don't know what is.

Moms, I urge you. Love your children. Love them the way God loves you. You are the first encounter they will have with The Father. You are the god of their young lives. It is an essential part of parenting that we love unconditionally because He first loved us (1 John 4:19).


****Later this week Commandment #4 Thou Shall Not Be Desperate****

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.