Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thou Shall Not Compare

Being a parent can be stressful at times. For some of us single moms that is a true understatement. Working, raising a child alone, and maintaining my home can be overwhelming. Sometimes it seems as if others have it easier than I do and that brings me to Commandment #2: Thou Shall Not Compare.

I don't know about anyone else but Satan loves to attack my mind with doubt and fear. The dialogue used to go like this:

Him: Look at that husband and wife over there. Where's your man?
Me: Dang. I had one shot to get it right and look how I did it.


Him: She's a stay at home mom and doesn't have to work. You are worn out.
Me: Yeah. I wish I didn't have to work. I'm tired all the time.

Him: You know your experience with your step mom was not that great.
Me: Nobody will ever love my daughter as if she is theirs. That's rare.

I think you get my point. I used to get so caught up in comparing my life to others to the point I wasn't thankful for the life I had. As I continue my walk with Christ I've learned to make positive affirmations over my life. That is why we need to read God's Word so that we can say what He says.

When the attacks come I respond in a different way. You wanna know how?

Him: Look at that husband and wife over there. Where's your man/family?
Me: It's all good. We are a family. The two of us! God sent Boaz to Ruth (Book of Ruth) and I know mine is on the way. Wait for it...

Him: She's a stay at home mom and doesn't have to work. You are worn out.
Me: I will not grow weary in my well doing because I will reap my harvest when God sees fit. (Galatians 6:9) Thank You Lord for my career. Some parents can't get jobs but with my education and skills I have options!

Him: You know your experience with your step mom wasn't that great.
Me: I've asked Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Our Provider) for an Ephesians 5 man. Enough said!

Please make no mistake that it's a one and done situation. These are confessions I have to make on the regular; especially if I'm going through a financial struggle or feeling lonely. I have enough self awareness to know that it is at those times I am more likely to compare. I honestly feel as if God grieves when He hears us complain about our lives. Think about how you feel when your child compares the life you provide to their friends'. They sound pretty ungrateful don't they?


****Next week Commandment #3 Thou Shall Love Unconditionally***









8 comments:

  1. This is a great post Ariel. I use to compare my life to others also. But I have learned to be content in whatever state I'm in and I trust God for my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister! It takes time to get here but you made it. Better late than never. Thank you for reading my blog. Stay tuned there is more to come. To God be the glory. I look forward to more of your work as well.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff Ariel! My wife was a single mom for 12 years before we married. The enemy loves to operate in our thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. You are helping some single moms out there with blogs like this to encourage them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I was listening to your show via twitter and heard about your blended family. God bless you guys.

      Delete
  3. Aloha Ariel!

    Thank you for all you're doing to encourage the single mom community! I am loving your blog and am praying blessings over you, your family and your growing ministry!

    Aloha,
    Athena : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha Athena (my birthday buddy),
    Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. My life, my testimony being lived out loud is just a small portion of my reasonable service for God's Kingdom. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ariel, hi guys.
    I loved this post, as much as the other ones.
    It´s true, sometimes we compare, I also learnt not to do so long long ago. We all have our own paths in life, and nobody knows how easy or hard it is, God just gives us all what we need, to learn, to get better and love each other.
    Hugs Ariel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cori, thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying the series. This is a first for me. Yeah we have to be careful not to compare. Like you said "we have our own paths". My next post that comes out on Thursday is one that will make people say "what in the world was she thinking". It's my life, my journey, an my testimony. I'm thankful for what I've been through. It made me who I am today. God is more than good to me.

      Delete

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.