Monday, July 21, 2014

Excuse Me. Can You Spare Some Time?




As a child my parents never spent a lot of time with me. They were too busy with their own lives, personal issues and careers. They made sure I never wanted for anything material but I starved for their attention. It wasn't until 2009 I learned one of my love languages is quality time. No wonder there was a huge void in my life for so long. When I became a mother I promised God that more than anything I could provide for my daughter I was going to be sure to give my time.

Sienna will be 8 years old in a few weeks. For 8 years it has been just us two. For a while I was not thrilled, unhappy, and actually thought I did her an injustice by being a single mom. Looking at us now God has surely made things work for my good (Romans 8:28) Since it’s been just the two of us we have been able to form the bond that I did not have with my mother. We do so much together and have an open and honest line of communication. As a result of being this kind of mother I can have an adult life outside of her and not feel guilty. It’s healthy to have balance.

I will never forget an encounter I had 3 years ago while I was shopping on lunch break. I had just enough time to make my purchases and grab some lunch. I was so focused on getting to my next stop I missed an opportunity to be of service to an older lady when she asked for help. She asked me if I knew where the petite section was. I politely told her that I wasn't sure and smiled. The lady apologized for having thought I worked there. But God being the God of second chances offered me another opportunity.

As I hurriedly looked at the clothes I noticed a young girl coming towards me. She was very tall, had an atheletic build and looked scared to death. The girl approached me and said, “I graduate from high school in three hours and I need to find a dress.” Without a thought in my head I sprang into action. This poor child had no idea as to what size dress she wore. She told me size 6…she wore a 12. Her phone kept ringing and with each text and call she became frustrated. She wanted to cry. The young lady told me that it was her grandmother and aunt calling to see if she had found a dress. To make matters worse her older brother purposely kept suggesting not so flattering dresses, so he could get a laugh. She was under so much pressure and was about to crack. I told her not to worry and that we would find something.

While searching the racks we exchanged names and talked about school, her career of choice, and how she never wears dresses. She seemed to relax more. Eventually I asked where were the relatives that kept calling. She said they were out of town about an hour away. I didn't say anything but I became very sad for her. This was her first and only high school graduation and there was no one with her to ensure she was ready. I looked at her hair, it was as if she had just taken off a baseball cap. It was obvious that no one had taken time to teach her. I thought, Where is this child’s mother? I have to help her. In Matthew 25:40 Jesus stated “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

We completed our shopping on time. She was very happy and grateful for my help. The young lady reached out to hug me and when I embraced her I felt an all too familiar feeling. She held me tight and thanked me. I wished her luck and we went our separate ways.

As I type this post tears are streaming down my face. If I had died just one year later when the doctors gave up on me that could have been my child. How many times have you been too busy to help? If it doesn’t affect you do you not get involved? Maybe as a parent you need to spend more time with your child(ren). Surfing the internet on your smartphone while your child watches t.v. is not quality time. If you disagree, just ask them. I'm sure they will tell you the same. We have to remember that life is short and we should make the most of everyday that we have.


3 comments:

  1. I loved your post. What a nice story.
    Time is not just time, it´s giving a moment of your life. That´s why it was so kind from you what you did for that girl.
    It happens sometimes when you´re a single mom that we tend to pay attention to all details so our son/daughter is fine, but we forget it´s much more important to share quality time with them. The first years of my little boy were that way...sometimes I looked back and have the feeling I didn´t enjoy as much time as I wanted because I was making sure to get the earning to raise him.
    Sometimes it happens....sometimes we do our best and make mistakes. But it´s great to keep in mind what the right way is and come back to it.
    Hugs Ariel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corina, thank you so much for your encouragement. You have no idea what it means to me to know you read my blog. More importantly it means so much to know that you are getting something from my life experiences. That is what we are here for...to enhance the lives of other & not to detract from them. Starting next week I'm going to start a mini series called The 5 Commandments of parenting. You are not going to want to miss them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!!!! Of course not, keep me informed about it.
      It´s a pleasure to read your posts, you can feel it when it´s not just words, there is a lesson behind the sentences. That´s why I enjoy it.
      Have a wonderful day Ariel!

      Delete

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.