Thursday, July 24, 2014

Keep It Moving

I never saw myself not being with the father of my child. I did not have the blessing of growing up with happily married parents. I've never even had my parents at the same dinner table.  I couldn't understand why? But God has a way of providing me with the much needed answers that my folks could not give.

I met my daughter's father 8 years ago. It was the typical, woman meets man (I use both terms loosely), they date over a period of time, woman thinks she's found the one, and soon thereafter here comes baby. Unfortunately, there was no happily ever after. Is there really ever? Things began to unravel by my third trimester. I knew we weren't going to make it. So I prepped myself as best as I could to be a single a mom. It was the best move I could have ever made. The drama of living near her father daily was more than I could handle. He was barely coming to see us. It was as if she did not exist. Something had changed, he wasn't communicating and I was furious. I felt like used toilet paper to put it lightly. When he did come around I had a nasty attitude and we argued.

 One night we were arguing. Sienna, who was 6 months old, was in her carrier on the floor between us and she started to cry.  He threw the key to my place on the table and walked out. Did he just break up with me? I comforted my crying child and in that moment I knew I had to put some distance between us. At 3:00 am on a Monday night I called my dad and told him I wanted to move back home to South Carolina. I told my daughter's father I was going to be gone by the end of the week. He didn't ask why. He didn't ask me to stay. He acted like he didn't care. I spent the entire week packing my apartment while caring for an infant who had the flu. He did nothing to help. To be honest I didn't expect nor want him to for a number of reasons. What he did do was cry on my shoulder on our last night in town and asked that I not let our daughter forget about him. I can honestly say that I felt absolutely no emotion. I had no remorse for taking my daughter away from him. I was a woman on a mission. In my mind I was on my own as a first time mother and  it was do or die time.

 Even after moving away I still maintained an on again and off again relationship with my daughter's father out  fear. Fear of loneliness. Fear of having my baby girl around a new man. Fear of being like my parents. Fear of the future and the unknown. I can't tell you how many times I heard that I never gave him a chance to be a father and that I just took the baby away. He played off those fears and I allowed it. Yes, folks we must be self accountable. I can't cast all blame on him. My father, who calls it like he sees it, told me, "You really need to leave him alone. One of these days you are going thank him for the sperm and you will go on about your business."  I must admit I was hurt when he said that. Against my better judgement I set out to prove him wrong. Well, he ended up being right.

We lived in South Carolina for 7 years when things started changing for me career wise. Sienna hated being away from her father and so did I. It also seemed as if we were in a pretty decent place in our relationship. I had been planning on moving back to Florida anyway for reasons other than him. So I put my home on the market and set out for the Sunshine State. Please make no mistake. This move was not like the last one. I've learned to pray about things before putting plans into motion. There were so many concerns. Was I making a mistake? Will we really be the family I always wanted to have? Will we really make it against all odds?  God's word says we shouldn't worry about anything pray and tell the Father what we need (Philippians 4:6-7). Well, I needed peace and clarity. I asked and that's exactly what I got. A few days before moving God let me know that we weren't going to make it as a family. I knew that I was really moving back to Florida to close a door that I left wide open almost 8 years ago and I was at peace with that. Around 2 months after my move I saw that time had stood still for my daughter's father. He was exactly the same person he was when I had my daughter. The arguing, the sneakiness, and the drama were still present in his life. I was above that mess and my child deserved better. Thank God I didn't move in with him because one night I sat calmly on his bed and broke it off for good.

My journey reminds me of the story of Lot’s wife (Genesis 19:1-26). Sodom was a city that was corrupt with sexual immorality (my relationship with my child's father). Things were so out of control God decided to destroy it. Prior to doing so He told Lot to get his family together and leave because destruction was coming. God not only gave a warning but He gave specific instructions as well. God told them where to go for safety and He told them to not look back. Lot’s wife disobeyed and when she looked back she turned into a pillar of salt. I had spent so many years looking back! I couldn't believe that I gave someone almost a decade of my life who really didn't deserve it. It has been 9 months since the final break up. I'm still here, right on the other side of town. He deals with Sienna when it suits him and his schedule. As I said before, my father was right. I have truly thanked him for my daughter and I have officially moved on with my life. So much growth has occurred since that day. Doors and opportunities have come my way that I may have missed had I been wallowing in the past. Who knew? I have come to learn that there is reward in obedience to God. Looking back is not even an option for me. Life is moving forward. It is important to forget what is in the past and look towards the future (Philippians 3:13). I am not implying that we shouldn't learn from our past, only a fool wouldn't do so. What I am saying is we should get the lesson and get out.

What is stopping you from moving forward with your life? Are you constantly looking in life’s rear view mirror at what could have been or what used to be?  Are you hanging on to a relationship for the sake of your child(ren) though it's not God's best for neither of you? You won’t turn into salt if you stay stuck in your past but you will miss out on many blessings for your life. Breaking up is hard to do but you have to keep it moving.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Your story sounds similar to mine. Lynisha once told me that she wants me to get married so she can have a "full time daddy". I told her to keep praying and God will send us a man to love us. In the meantime I am enjoying my single life. She longs for a relationship with her father and like you I desired to be a family unit but over time I have embraced the fact that it would not happen and to be honest I am good with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn thanks so much for reading. Yeah I know all about that "full time daddy". It's wild because Sienna calls it that too. I tell her the same thing to pray and that God will send us a dad who is going to love us, cherish us, and protect us. I also use that as a platform to tell her about God is our Father and that He is not like her earthly father so she shouldn't ever doubt his love. This was something I struggled with until I was in my mid 30s but that's a whole different post. Thanks again for reading sister. It means so much to me that I have your support. Sienna will see y'all the week after next. Tell Lynisha her buddy is coming home!!!

      Delete
  2. Well as Lynn my story is similar to yours. We broke up when my baby was 9 months old, I moved and started all over again, new job, new place, all alone with my son. I saw my son´s father in the eyes 6 years later, he of course wanted us back, but it was too late. I had changed, I grew up, and the drama was not a part of my life anymore. So he continued his life, and we ours. He rarely calls my son, he doesn´t care about him at all. But...with patience, trusting God, I met the right person, he is not his dad...but he is better than that.
    Time and faith, everything on its right timing....
    :)
    Have a great weekend Ariel!
    Cori.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cori thank you so much for sharing your story. Initially it's hard to see how our babies can be option in their bio-dad's lives when they are the world to us. But as each day goes on it gets better. If he is not what is best then I don't want him. I don't teach her to dislike her dad. In fact she loves him and she should. The Bible tells us to love. In fact she is my inspiration. I want to be like her when I grow up. She truly lknows how to treat hose who mistreat her! I so am happy The Lord has blessed you with a wonderful man and father. Take care and have an awesome weekend. The 10 Commandents of Parenting Series starts on Monday!

      Delete
  3. You are completely right!
    I can´t way for reading them! Take care you too, :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Ariel!

    This is such an honest and transparent piece.

    God has truly brought you through some trying situations. It is such a blessing that you are still standing and moving forward.

    I think that you're doing the right thing by continuing to keep moving. That is so necessary for our survival, sanity and growth. Plus, with God by your side, you can't go wrong.

    You're doing what is best for you and your daughter. That's all any good mother would do.

    Continue to follow God's lead and you will be shocked by all of the amazing things He has in store for both you and your daughter!

    God bless you sis!

    Also, I'm sorry for the late response. I need to subscribe to your blog. I had no idea you'd posted so many pieces already. I have to set some time aside and catch up on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, I want to thank you for all that you. It's because of you allowing God to use you I am blogging today. I've always wanted to do this but was ashamed of my story. But it is my life...my testimony.

      God has really kept me and my daughter and has brought is through so many things. Even when I wasnt respecting and taking care if myself He was there. I owe everything to God and if me telling my story brings people to Him and gives honor to Christ then transparent I will be.

      I'm enjoying the podcasts. They keep getting better and better. Right To Real Love will be around for generations to come. The youngsters are going to need it.

      Delete

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.