Thursday, September 18, 2014

Thou Shall Teach The Word


Recently I had the pleasure of learning that Valen, the son of one my blog readers Corina, was baptized this past Saturday. She shared with me that Valen's biological father (her ex) is an Atheist while she is a Christian. It was decided when he was born that Valen would choose his own faith. At the age of 11 he chose to be baptized as a Christian! This a perfect example of Parenting Commandment #10 Thou Shall Teach The Word.

I am so happy I delayed writing a post on this commandment. Though I had it all figured out in my mind which of my stories I would share; I just hadn't time to post it. I was starting to feel bad because I knew my readers were expecting a new post. However, I am so glad that I didn't have time or else I would've missed the opportunity to share Valen's good news!

Though Corina is now married to a wonderful man, Valen's father still has some influence in his life. Corina's son is well aware of his father's beliefs and could have easily wanted to be like him. Don't all little boys want to be like their dad? One would think that a child would grow up confused by having parents with two totally different views on God. That is not the case here because Corina parents by Commandment #9 Thou Shall Live Authentically. She not only teaches her son The Word of God but she lives it in her daily life. Valen is able to clearly see a distinct difference between the lives of his mother and biological father.

I'm not saying that his father lives a bad life but for all of us believers we know and understand what life is like when you are walking with Jesus and when you are not. I do believe that Valen made an informed decision to choose Jesus Christ as his personal savior because of the life he has seen his mother live before him.

When I was a hospice nurse one of my patients told me that her favorite scripture was "Nothing gives me greater joy than to know my children are walking in the way"-3 John 1:4. At that time I wasn't a parent but I thought it was sweet. It wasn't until my own child committed her life to Christ on March 23, 2014 that that scripture took on a whole new meaning.

As I read Cori's email I cried tears of joy. I could feel her excitement. I know that feeling all too well. I am sure as a mother she gets comfort in knowing that her son has a relationship with God that will sustain him for the rest of his life. The Bible says we should train a child up in the way he should go and when he is old he won't part from it (Proverbs 22:6).

2 comments:

  1. I do feel special now. Thanks Ariel, I´m sure you inspired many parents with the Parenting Commandments. What that patient said to you is so right, I will feel that joy forever knowing that Valen is walking in the way. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could make your day but I'm am the one who feels special! The fact that you told me about Valen's choice made me feel good and it gave me let me know that I'm doing exactly what God wants me to do. The purpose of my blog is to unite mothers everywhere regardless of race and socioeconomic backgrounds. Keep up the good work Cori! Muchas benediciones!

    ReplyDelete

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.