Sunday, March 29, 2015

When Life's Cameras Roll You Smile


It hasn't even been 24 hours since the Karrueche Tran interview with Ilyanla Vanzant has aired and everybody has had their say...myself included. As I watched the interview I couldn't help but notice how this beautiful sister sat poised, spoke so eloquently, carefully choosing her words, while smiling the entire time. Oh how much she reminded me of my younger self.

While watching Karrueche I couldn't help but wonder what could have happened or more important what didn't happen in her life. She spoke briefly of her inconsistent father but I feel there is much more than that. I am no expert, I just get a sense that this young lady has been betrayed by many including herself. I must applaud our dear sister for having the guts to open the door on her emotions, especially with so many people around. Often times when one has a "bare my soul" moment it's in private with only one other person to witness. In this case there were camera crews, managers, stylists, etc all about. Let's not forget to mention all of the viewers who tuned in last night and in the coming future.

There were times when the questions were tough. The emotions swelling up were intense but Karreuche smiled on. Almost inappropriately at times. I couldn't help but remember one day when I was about 21 my aunt asked me "What's wrong?" I wanted to know why she asked. Her response was "Because you're smiling extra hard today." She saw through my facade. I thought I had mastered the old never let them see you sweat technique. However to a veteran of life like my aunt I wasn't fooling anyone. Chances are Karrueche wasn't either not even herself. However, there is a time and a place to address the issues of life.

I would like to say that life instantly turned around after having a fix my life moment with my aunt. I cried in her arms, shared things with her that I knew she took to her grave. Truth be told my life didn't become what it was really meant to be until I truly allowed Jesus to be at the helm. I often look at my B.C. (before Christ) pictures. Though there was a big smile plastered across my face my eyes were without joy. You could see the pain. The only reason they weren't lifeless is because just like Karrueche I prayed to God and asked Him to keep me a loving person. I didn't want to become a person so jaded by life like those around me were.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very honest and reflective piece sis.

    I cannot even begin to imagine what you or this young lady must be experiencing.

    I thank God that you have found your way to a much more peaceful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always thank you my big lil bro. Of it weren't for you and The Lord I wouldn't be blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Look at God!

    Keep blogging sis!

    ReplyDelete

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.