Monday, March 23, 2015

It Just Might Be You


Navigating the social aspects of your child growing up isn't easy. I'm going to admit it. I used to be the parent who fumed inside when I heard that other kids were being mean to my child. There were even a few times when I wanted to pull a Madea and set the perpetrator straight. For those of you who don't know check out the bus scene from Tyler Perry's "Madea's Family Reunion" However, I refrained from doing because laying hands on someone else's kid is not well received in 2015.
Besides I don't want to fight all my child's battles anyway.

For a while I was hearing more and more about the kids at school. I just had to look into it. After doing my investigation and because I parent by Parenting Commandment #1 I realized that my dear child brings these woes upon herself at times. That's right my little darling isn't infallible and neither are yours. I had to explain to Sienna cause and effect. She didn't get it straight away and to be honest I still don't think she does. This just happened today so I have to give it some time to sink in.

As I was explaining her role in the situation with the other kids all I could think of was how I didn't want my child to grow up with a victim mentality. To me that is one of the most damaging personality traits one could have. John 5: 1-8 presents the sermon of the crippled man at the pool of Bethesda. This man blamed everybody else for 38 stinking years for the reason he couldn't get into the pool to be healed. A person who doesn't learn self accountability will never reach their full God given potential.

As I tried to walk my little one step by step through a particular event she began to cry. My heart was hurting because I knew she truly didn't get it and she felt under attack. Though I was kind but matter of fact it bothered her. I just wanted to open her little head up and pour the revelation into her brain. I wanted her to say, "Okay Mom I got it!" in the high spirited voice she uses when she has an epiphany. It's my job to teach her the hard lessons of life. I'm not going to be around always and I want to get as much in as I can within reason. I don't want to be so busy that I don't take the time to help her navigate these situations. I wasn't as fortunate. Some things in life I learned as an adult when I really should have been taught them as a kid.

Do you find yourself pointing the blame at everyone else but you? Could it be that you have a victim mentality? Maybe you see these characteristics in your children. Please keep in mind that children are meant to grow and go. They have to make their own way in this world and it doesn't start when they turn 18. It starts right now. Equip them to best that they can be because they will be from under our care in a blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.