Monday, April 20, 2015

Some Children Should Be Seen And Not Heard


The saddest thing happened to me today. While walking in a park with my BFF we came upon the local middle school. As we walked by my friend said, "Did you hear that?" I didn't know what she was talking about until I heard a group of middle school girls calling us the "b word" just beyond the fence while at PE. My friend honestly couldn't believe her ears. Unfortunately I wasn't the least bit shocked. I've been hearing from my daughter about the foul mouth kids have these days. Not only did they cuss us but one of the girls was yelling about the size of her boyfriend's penis while referring to him as her "man" and using the slang term for penis.

 Seriously, language like that was coming from the mouths of little girls. As we strolled on ignoring them the whole while, they got louder and louder. It was as if they were trying to get a reaction out of us. Eventually their taunts turned into all out screams. It was utter chaos and disgusting. My friend and I looked at each other and shook our heads and talked about how we wish we could give them a good ole fashion attitude adjustment. I'm sure the teachers at the school would've appreciated it.

Growing up I was taught to respect my elders. I had to listen to them. If they told me to stand on my head in a mud hole I better had done it without question. I would have never thought in my wildest years to hurl obscenities at two strange adults; not only out of fear of my parents but out of concern for my safety. Those girls had no idea as to who we were or what we were capable of. Thank God we are rational adults and chose to pray for them instead.

I know we can't control everything our children say/do but I just couldn't help but think what type of guidance or lack there of is in the homes of these girls. Parents have to realize that we are raising the future. What we plant in them today will bloom tomorrow (Titus 2:1-15) Don't let your kids grow up to become a boil on the rear of society. Monitor their friends, music, and what they watch on tv (Luke 11:34; Isaiah 33:15-16). As an adult I have noted an increase in inner peace since I stopped watching garbage tv. I can only imagine the inner conflict and dialogue that goes on in the minds of kids who consume it. Being a parent is not an easy job. I get it. For the first 8 years of Sienna's life I did it solo without help from anyone but The Lord. However, doing it alone is not an excuse to slack on the job. You have to be intentional to be effective when parenting.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is INSANE!

    It's so sad how the behavior of some children is seemingly getting worse.

    I agree that the garbage music, TV and influences in their life have a lot to do with it.

    We must guard ourselves and our children from things that taint them. If we don't, there is no telling how bad things can really get.

    I'm glad you and your friend did not react to those young girls. You showed them how mature adults and women are to conduct themselves. Great lesson!

    ReplyDelete

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.