Friday, November 14, 2014

It Will Be Worth The Wait


A few months ago I was shopping for office furniture I had to have for my new job. Having a home based office requires more than a dining room table and chair and I was on a shoe string budget and was strapped for cash. Lucky for me I have no problems buying things second hand, I was blessed to find a plush office chair and a shelving system with a drawer for only $15. All that was missing was a desk. After spending a few days stalking thrifts stores and yard sales I found a couple of desks but they were either out of my price range or I had to cart it home myself. Physical strength and a truck are not things I am blessed with so I had to pass on the desks. Time was of the essence though I didn't lose hope I was a little anxious.

Reluctantly I went to a local furniture store and found what I thought was the perfect desk for me. It was just the right size for my room and my car, had extra shelves and was in my price range. Sold! I think not. It missed fitting in the trunk of my car by literally a half an inch. I couldn't believe it. The desk was perfect and I didn't know anyone I could call with a truck to pick it up for me. When the three men at the store realized I was at their mercy (so they thought) they immediately tried to swindle me. The manager told me their delivery fee was $70. I told him no thanks. The desk was priced at $45. Who was he trying to play? I wanted to tell him what he could do with that desk but I am a changed woman. The next guy said that he delivers after hours to make extra money and could bring it to my house which was less than 5 miles away. Don't get me wrong I am the last person to look for an handout or anything for free. So I knew it would come with a price. I was thinking $20. This guy must have bumped his head when he said $55 for delivery. I told them all no thanks and got out of there.

As I drove home I was upset but it wasn't about me not getting the desk. I was upset about how the men tried to take advantage of me. Had I been desperate I would have jumped at the opportunities that were presented to me. When I got home I sat on the couch and prayed. I couldn't believe this is the state of our world, especially the men. Are they not supposed to be protectors? I then thought about Sienna and prayed that God would give her a "God man"...an Ephesians 5 man. It's never too early to pray for your child's spouse. I don't want her to follow in all of my footsteps. Yes I have a great life but being a single mom with a divorce under her belt is not what I want for my kid. I want her to have better and make better choices than I did.

After my talk with God he led me to Craigslist and there it was! A desk better than the one I saw at the store and it was $20 cheaper. I called and asked if it was still available. It was and they had no problems delivering it to me. I jumped in my car and met him and his wife at the storage unit. Before I left I did text my best friend to let her know my whereabouts just in case something happened to me. You can't be too careful these days. When I arrived he and his wife were there, they followed me back to my home, set up my desk, I paid and they left. What was the grand total you ask? A whopping $45! You can't beat God.

How many times in life do we think we have found the right person, job, etc and we hit a roadblock? How do you react when that happens? Do you go to The Father for clarity? Do you try to find a hidden meaning to what is happening below the surface? God's delays are not always a definite "No". Sometimes they are, "Not right now child because I have someone/something better for you." Proverbs 19:21 says "Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are more than welcome to leave comments. Please keep in mind this is a community that uplifts and supports. Any negative or judgemental comments will not be published.